Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Missing Link

The Missing Link

Many times when I was much younger, I used to be so sad & disappointed that mum never cared much for me (at least that’s how I felt at that time). You see I have an elder sister whom is just a year older than me.

I provided quite a lot for my family even being a gal (as most gals are not required to provide for the family in my family circle) so whenever my mum buys clothing for my sister I really feel it. Ok fine, my sister does not earn as high as me but look “I provided financially for the house we are living in”. So why she gets clothing that are hand picked by mum and I never got any since I started to make a living?

Besides the issue of mum buying clothes for my sister every festival season, I had no other problems with either one of them. I love my mum dearly, its just I don’t get it why she can only think of my sis and not me when she buys clothing for the festival season.

I didn’t really stay with my parents back then, I only went back twice in a month to visit them and my sis or mum will share or tell me when mum has bought a new piece of clothing or sis. It always breaks my heart deep inside when I hear & see the new stuff mum has taken the trouble to choose for my sis but there was never any for me.

After my sister got married, I moved in to be with my parents. Mum as usual, being a dotting wife and mother, prepared all out meals and made sure the meals stayed hot for us each day…after all it was just I, dad & mum at home.

Than, one day when I got back from work, mum showed me a dress that she had handpicked just for me. She handed it over to me very hesitantly and said “I thought this would look very nice on you, I thought of you the minute I saw it” and before I can say anything more….she continued “I know u always wear all the branded stuff only, so I am not sure if you will like this dress”……..(Only than it dawned on me why mum never got clothing’s for me all this years since I started to work. Yes I must admit at that time mine clothing’s, undergarments and shoes were all branded stuff! No wonder mum was hesitant, she thought I would look down at the things that she will buy from the morning or the night market sales.)

I looked at the dress it was a simple but very pretty sun dress and yes ‘I loved that dress’. I told mum, it does not matter what I have and what I wear but to get clothing as a gift from her at the age of 25 is still a blessing and a very much appreciated gift. I gave her hug told her that no matter what she buys for me, I will proudly wear it.

Of course I didn’t tell mum how hurt I was all these years when my sister got all the clothing’s from mum and not me…..well words & explanations were not needed anymore cause I knew than that how much mum must have been hurt for not being able to buy things for me, thinking how I would not appreciate it.

So from that day, mum has bought many clothing’s for me, from night wears to maternity dresses to some traditional outfits. If only I had told her from the beginning how I felt, I am sure I would not have missed out the years when only my sister got the clothing’s.

I still get the gift of clothing’s from my mother occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. how sweet... the intention of mum is nice but than she just had hesitated cause of the so call "BRAND"

    ReplyDelete